Homepage problems

no brains 19:43 25 Jun 04

I am running Xp on my pc, everytime i open my internet page it defaults to about:blankI have been into my setting and applied my default but it still loads up with the about:blankpage. I cant remove this and I also keep getting pop ups on my pc now telling me that my computer may have potential spyware problems.

Any help would be good.

sgtdibble 19:46 25 Jun 04

have got Adaware or spybot it sounds like you have some spyware and these will get rid ;-) Tom>>>

VoG II 19:46 25 Jun 04

CWShredder click here *may* remove this. However it can be a sod to remove. See also click here (Hijack This is available from the same site as CWShredder).

sgtdibble 19:48 25 Jun 04

take notice of VoG no brains he is the best

SANTOS7 19:54 25 Jun 04

If you have further difficulty ron highjack this
When using HJT, remove the line: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, HomeOldSp=about:blank

Using CWShreader, scan you system and remove the items identified

Run Spybot

Reset your homepage then reboot.

This should do the trick

Dorsai 20:38 25 Jun 04

After fix, if using Windows/IE...Tools>Windows Update...follow prompts...download 'critial updates'..if shed loads do a few at a time...don't want PC to crash at 95% of 20MB download....the get/update firewall&anti-virus prog...

dotterel 20:49 25 Jun 04

I've got a similar problem (and so has someone else - see postings). I've done all suggested options Hijackthis, CWShredder, Spybot search and Destroy, Startpage Guard etc. but nothing works. Any more ideas, please?

THE TERMINATOR 22:43 25 Jun 04

Have you installed the latest update for MS Messenger. If you have, uninstall it and you will be rid of the page changing.

no brains 19:02 26 Jun 04

Cheers all, but I have done all the above and still end up with the page opening on about:blank. I have removed bits from CWShredder and hijack as suggested, I have tried my system restore from a point a few days ago but when it boots up again it says i cant restore.

Please help its really starting to annoy me.

VoG II 19:06 26 Jun 04

Ad-aware click here will now remove some variants of about:blank but it has to be run in safe mode.

Download and install Ad-aware, then update it.

Restart PC and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen loads to get into Safe Mode. Then scan with Ad-aware and delete everything it finds.

If that doesn't work, post a HJT log click here

no brains 12:36 27 Jun 04

Cheers VoG you have saved me... What a pain in the A"*e that was.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…