Home/Office Network Security Whats the best setup

andysgreen 22:28 01 Apr 09

Hi, i hope someone can point me in the right direction!

We work from home. the office is in some out buildings but i have the house linked from the office with a Cat5e cable, allowing me to place a wireless router in the house to give me and the family internet access.

In the office i have both wireless and wired internet points.

I have a PC running windows XP which is being used as a file sharing (server) it also has a number of external hard drives with music and video content on as well as specific drives for work related things.

My question is - i would like to keep the wireless network available to anyone who visits ie giving them the WEP key, but i want to hide the files on the server so they can not see them or access them.

the hard drives with Music and Video should remain avaialble to family memebrs and devices such as Apple TV.

Oh yes and we have a mixture of PC's and Mac's running as well.

I am sure this is a software issue, i have thought about password protecting each folder on the server but then i assume each time i wish to access the folder or files within it i will have to enter the password, this is a bit of a pain if so.

help
thanks

ambra4 04:22 03 Apr 09

How is the office files sharing set up on the server?

One main folder with sub folders or each folder is stored separate

If just one main folder with sub folders all you would have to do is password protect the main
folder

If folder for each client are stored separate than you should create a main folder and put all the

office files into that folder you can than password protect the main office folder

The same would apply for any other data folder that you want to be protect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5