homechoice broadband sharing

Narayan Adhikari 17:00 20 Apr 06

hi,

i've recently joined homechoice bb. i wanted to share the connection using netgear dg814 which i used for aol bb sharing, but it is not possible, as we have to use their set top box. i bought a 3com 8 port hub (3c16701) as advised by one technician, and connected everything. but only one pc gets the internet, others not. is there any chance i can share this connection using hub, without purchasing another wire(ed/less) router?
any help will be highly appreciated.
regards

mgmcc 19:22 20 Apr 06

<<< is there any chance i can share this connection using hub, without purchasing another wire(ed/less) router? >>>

The simple answer is "No", because the ISP only allocates one IP address which goes to the first computer to connect. Additional computers won't get an IP address and won't get online.

As you are probably aware, with a router it is the router which gets the single IP address. It allocates LAN IP addresses to the networked computers and "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer.

Your only option without a router is to use "Internet Connection Sharing" - the two computers are connected directly and ICS enabled on the modem connection in the one which has internet access.

johnnyrocker 23:19 20 Apr 06

there is no facility whatever to alter the config of the posters modem as it is a stb providing video on demand also, best bet is wireless, the poster might like to visit click here and look in the homechoice forums for further info.

johnny.

mgmcc 07:03 21 Apr 06

If the STB can provide broadband access to a single PC, presumably via an ethernet connection, I cannot see why either ICS cannot be enabled in the first PC to allow connection by a second PC networked to it by crossover cable, or why that single PC's connection cannot be replaced by a "Cable/DSL" router.

Neither of these options involves doing anything with the modem, other than connecting to it, and this is no different from what would be done with an NTL/Telewest STB or Cable Modem.

ICS might require the installation of a second network adapter if the connection to the STB is ethernet.

johnnyrocker 11:29 21 Apr 06

the stb is not configurable in any way, but having just re read your post i misread it at the last stage and took it you were inferring modem configuration.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…