//some 3rd party need geo

HOME WIRELESS PROBLEMS

fazza8 12:41 01 May 04

I have been trying to set up a home network using an Origo router. The system is a PC connected with a cable via the router which is connected to NTL broadband. There is a a further PC with a USB LAN connection and a laptop with LAN adapter card.

I have got the Internet connections working OK but am now trying to set up file and printer sharing. I have created a workgroup name and can see the computers in Explorer but when I try to access the folder I gave access rights to, I get an error message :

"Fazza8 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."

Have I missed a step out?

Eric

mosfet 13:07 01 May 04

Firewall off? or group put in "trusted" section?

Dowman 14:52 01 May 04

What OS are you using?

What you might need to do is check the Protocols that your pcs are using, to do this double click My Network Places or Network Neighbourhood, and right click your network card and select properties. Check that you have "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed. This will give you access to the internet.

To share documents and printers you have to install another protocol called NetBEUI. restart the computer and bob's your uncle?

fazza8 18:12 01 May 04

"Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is installed but there is no sign of NetBEUI. How dod I do that?

Dowman 18:33 01 May 04

This depends on what OS you are using so I will try and give the general instructions. (These are based on Windows 2000, so they may be similar for Windows XP, but not Windows 95/98)

You have to right click My Network Places (or Network Neighbourhood) and click on properties. then right click your network card and click on Properties again.

When the properties box appear, you will see a list in a box under "Components checked are used by this connection:" that contains the following:

Client for MS Networks
File & print sharing for MS Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Click Install button, when the box appears, then click Protocol, then highlight NetBEUI then OK, have your OS CDROM ready to install the files.

Also if File & print sharing for MS Networks is not there then find that in Service where you selected protocol.

Any probs, let me know

fazza8 19:41 01 May 04

Cheers . I'll give it my best shot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…