Home Wireless Networking

Finto 11:56 25 Jun 07

I have Sky Broadband with a NetGear DG834GT. I have a Vista Laptop and an XP Desktop with an External Hard Drive and printer hanging off the desktop. Both PC's are wireless. I want to be able to use the External HArd Drive and Printer from my Laptop so need to be able to see them. I have McAfee Security Suite and Wireless Manager. McAfee recommend downloading different firmware for the router to help. Anyone have any instructions for setting up the network ?

Technotiger 12:58 25 Jun 07

Hi, I think you need to re-phrase your question, what do you mean 'hanging off the desktop'? Are the external hard drive and printer connected to the Desktop PC or to the Laptop?

Normal procedure would be to go into Control Panel and run the Network Setup Wizard to Share printer - not sure about the hard drive.

ambra4 02:57 26 Jun 07

To share hard drive

Right click on hard drive to share

Click sharing & secuity

New volume properties will appear click sharing

Read and click (Click here)

Tick share this folder on the network

Click OK

If you check the drive you will see a hand holding the drive you want to share

Finto 09:45 26 Jun 07

The printer and hard drive are connected to the Desktop via USB. They are both shared. From my laptop I am using McAfee Wireless Network but although I can see the Desktop, I can't see any files or shared areas. I run Manage Network from the McAfee suite. I certainly don't see the desktop when I use Explorer for example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5