home wifi

mama11 08 Jan 12
Answered

how to setup a home wifi network with windows 7 ? I want to access internet of the main laptop (has internet using a dongle) for my other laptop which has no direct internet connection at the moment, but wifi enable.

difarn 08 Jan 12
Answer

It very much depends on the dongle. Are you using one of the mobile dongles - otherwise known as a mifi? This can act as a wireless hub.

If you have this you will need to look at the settings for the device which you should have on your pc - other pc's will need to have access to the IP address of your dongle - or you can set up ICS as described in the article below.

If you have just an ordinary dongle it is possible that you can get an adapter into which you just plug in your dongle and it will act as a wireless hub.

It may also be possible to share your connection using ICS - Internet Connection Sharing - see this article but I don't know how effective this will be.

mama11 08 Jan 12

Thx a lot for ur advice. It is a 3G mobile dongle(USB modem). I tried to bridge a connection as suggested by one of internet artical. But it does not allow mw to setup a bridge connection joining 3connect & Local Area Connection.

I really want to share this internet connection for my kids' laptop thru wifi.

I will try to do it with the link u sent.

Thanks Mama11

mama11 08 Jan 12

For ''ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)'' do I have to use network cables. I am trying for a wireless/wifi connection to share it.

Thanks Mama11

difarn 08 Jan 12

Yes you can set up your pc with your dongle to become a wireless access point and other pc's can connect wirelessly via ICS to this provided that your dongle supports this - this article explains it very thoroughly.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message