Home Server

richardstone79 13:44 PM 06 Jun 11

Hi all, please help. I am pretty decent at computers but basically I do a lot of work at home on my home pc and at home I have one main pc, two laptops and various other gadgets. I am planning on using the oldest laptop as a sever so I can access while away from home. What software and hardware will I need and is windows server recommended? Basically I want my pc to run everything

mgmcc 07:54 AM 12 Jun 11

To be used as a "server", and accessible while away from home, the computer needs to be running and online 24 hrs a day, something to which I'd have thought a desktop PC was better suited.

However, TeamViewer software, installed in both the computer you're using as a "server" and the computer you are away from home with, will allow both "Remote Control" and "File & Printer Sharing" over the internet with the "server" computer.

Forum Editor 00:08 AM 14 Jun 11

mgmcc is right

A laptop isn't the right machine to use as a remote access server, because of the need for it to run on a 24/7 basis.

If you just want basic access to data files,and don't want to spend much, use an ordinary desktop PC and leave it running when you're away.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone