Home Search Assistant. Virus or what?

99ab 20:54 22 Sep 04

Please, how do I get rid of Home Search Assistant which has hijacked
my IE6 program on my PC running Windows 2K? I've tried several programs to no avail. About Buster,
HSRemove, and Hijack This. Norton Anti-Virus has never heard of it, neither has Panda which makes me wonder if it is a virus and if not, what is it?

There is a very complex and labour intensive way to remove the program at click here. I.ve tried this twice but it still doesn't work. I've spent about £40 on software and 6 hours of my time but to no avail.

I have tried to use Norton Anti-virus but it is no good. Neither is
SpyBot Search and Destroy nor Ad-aware Professional 6.

Whatever I change in the registry gets changed back again as soon as I
re-load IE6.

Please, please, can anyone offer some help.

SANTOS7 20:58 22 Sep 04

click here hope this helps,good luck

99ab 21:06 22 Sep 04

Been down this road but it doesn't work for me.

SANTOS7 21:09 22 Sep 04

turn off system restore and try again

stalion 21:16 22 Sep 04

post a hijack this log on here and you will get help.There is a 800 word limit onhere so you will have to seperate it in to sections

iambeavis 21:17 22 Sep 04

I think it can be cleared by using Ad-Aware's VX2 cleaner add-on. Other than that try this -Start\run\regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ software\microsoft\windows\current version\unistall and look for the following,HSA/SE and SW and,if they are there, delete them.

Belatucadrus 21:19 22 Sep 04

click here for a HomeSearch removal tool, I've never needed to use it, so don't know if it's any good.

OwenLotts 22:30 22 Sep 04

click here

Used on 3 machines - 3 cleaned. Might need to run it 2 or 3 times to work. Make sure IE is closed first.

99ab 23:04 22 Sep 04

For these logs, see click here

SANTOS7 23:06 22 Sep 04

The removal tool suggested by Owenlotts is backed up by the same problem listed on page 158 of the latest PCA mag it also suggests you run the utility in safe mode to completely uninstall this highjacker

99ab 23:15 22 Sep 04

>The removal tool suggested by Owenlotts is backed >up by the same problem listed on page 158 of the >latest PCA mag it also suggests you run the >utility in safe mode to completely uninstall this >highjacker

I used it 3 times but it didn't work. Admittedly not in Safe Mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac