home produced dvd discs

shoepolish 14:39 25 Apr 03

In what format should I produce home-made video discs in order to play them on my commercial dvd player? They play OK on the Cyberlink Power DVD software on my computer.

Jonathan314159 14:51 25 Apr 03

I use Pinnacle 8 software to convert the AVI file from the camcorder to MPEG2 and then write to DVD. There is freeware available as well, but I don't have it so can't comment. Pinnacle 8 (ful version) is very intuitive and good for editing.

You can write to CD using the software, in either VCD or SVCD format. Most DVD players will read VCD but not so many SVCD. Neither is as good quality as DVD, and the one attempt I had at VCD was such poor quality as not to be worthwhile (people compare it to VHS quality, but I found it to be significantly worse). Hence I've moved to creating DVDs with a dvd writer.

The DVD help forum has lots of advice on writing in all the formats click here

stlucia 15:12 25 Apr 03

As Jonathan314159 says, you need to save your edited video file as one or more MPEG2s (in Pinnacle you specificy the output format as MPEG(DVD)).

Then I would recommend that you use the software that comes with your burner to create your DVD. It will allow you to make menus, and will automatically copy all the files that are required to view the movie on your telly.

Whether you use DVD-R or +R disks depends on your player.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…