home plugs in detached house - sync needed?

pookie 20:46 PM 29 Sep 12

Windows 7 home edition. I have home plugs at router, one to my pc and one to daughter's pc all various seperate ethernet cables. Even though they all connected and worked straight out of the box I did try and sync them all as manual said it gives added security but they didn't all connect so I reset to factory default. However, if I am in a detached house and only family members have the home plugs do I need to sync them?

lotvic 21:24 PM 29 Sep 12

This info in Solarwise forum answers most of your questions. It seems the only building remotely able to would be 2 houses down on same electric phase and got same Homeplugs as you and the signal was able to overcome the induction of 3 consumer boxes, distance degradation, etc etc...

I did pair my Homeplugs, but not on purpose :) I thought that was what you had to do. It just means that no other Homeplugs can join in unless they also have been paired with you first one. (It's a bit like when you use the Wireless WPS button on a router to connect a printer that also has a WPS button so you don't need to enter any details)

pookie 10:14 AM 30 Sep 12

thanks for these replies - it seems pretty safe then and a lot safer than wireless

lotvic 12:36 PM 30 Sep 12

I agree, safer and faster connection than wireless. Also handily portable I have one plug that 'travels' round the house, just plug it in, in whichever room I've gone to with my netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…