Home Page won't load

paulhicko 15:32 29 Mar 04

I can connect to net and use OE but my Internet Home Page won't load, nor will any other web page.

The window comes up blank and when I try to X out of it, an error message comes up saying 'Window still in use. Closing it may cause problems'. Whether I click on yes or no, it refuses to go away. I end up having to restart.

I am having to use my work internet connection to try and find a solution. Should I try and reinstall IE from Mesh recovery CD or is something else stopping it?

BurrWalnut 16:03 29 Mar 04

WinXP
Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Start, Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (not the quotes) and have your WinXP CD ready to put in the drive.

Win98
Repair Internet Explorer. Add/Remove Programs and select the repair option (if present).

paulhicko 16:48 29 Mar 04

Cheers BurrWalnut. I'll try that. Will it make any difference that I only have recovery CD rather than real thing?

BurrWalnut 19:52 29 Mar 04

Um, don't know.

Maybe there is someone on here who knows about the contents of recovery CDs.

Reevey11 20:17 29 Mar 04

Shouldn' t really matter as my mesh recovery cd is actually a full version of win xp home, it's just been mesh branded

AndyJ 20:29 29 Mar 04

Have a look here click here

paulhicko 21:42 29 Mar 04

Cheers guys. I'm gonna have fun typing all that into the run box..but I'm desperate enough to give it a try

sattman 22:27 29 Mar 04

Is it not simply that your home page is not at present set as default.

In OE, tools, Internet Options

reset you home page and apply

MikeyT 22:53 29 Mar 04

You using TISCALI by any chance as their webpages are experiencing difficulty. Should be oK soon enough

paulhicko 14:30 30 Mar 04

No Sattman, it's trying to load the right home page but screen remains blank...and connection is BT broadband Mikey...I've tried all stuff suggested above but it's not done any good...cheers anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…