Home page re-directed to pop up

know_nowt 13:46 13 Aug 09

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anybody could help me yet again...

recently i have been getting pop ups all over the shop, i think i can isolate the problem, i downloaded a program from a torrent, i am thinking something sneaked in as well.

my home page is as follows:

click here

i change it in control panel, but it doesnt make any difference.. i am running vista and have the following software

COMODO firewall
spybot search and destroy
avast
super anti spy ware -free edition

i have run scans and still am having this problem..

can anyone advise me on what to do?? i didnt want to use a restore point, as i have software i want to keep... many thanks

know_nowt 13:55 13 Aug 09

dont click on the link.. because i just noticed that the link takes you to AOL ?? dont know why.. for me its a bingo pop up along with my fire fox home page.. the address is as follows below

ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=83&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb

sorry for the confusion

Pineman100 14:39 13 Aug 09

I should use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date/time before you downloaded the torrent file.

Pineman100 14:40 13 Aug 09

Sorry - I posted too quickly!

I know you have software that you want to keep, but surely you can reinstall this?

know_nowt 14:44 13 Aug 09

i was hoping i didnt have to do that... looks as if i have no other choice then. :( see if i reinstall might have the same problem.. oh well.. needs must.

why is it that spyware / malware software arent removing whatever it is that causing this? do i need better protection?

oldbeefer2 14:47 13 Aug 09

Others have recommended running the free Malwarebytes programme for this sort of problem - nothing to lose!click here

know_nowt 16:12 13 Aug 09

i'll give it a go... thanks for that.. downloaded it and gonna run it now... fingers crossed..

thanks beefer! :)

know_nowt 17:18 13 Aug 09

well that was worth a try, it found malware which my other software didnt pick up.. but alas my homepage is still spamed.. anybody know of anything else i could try before i have to restore??

birdface 19:08 13 Aug 09

If using XP maybe try this.

click here

Or maybe download IE7Pro add-on make sure Ad-blocker is ticked and mini download manager is unticked.if you change anything in IE7 pro you need to restart I/Explorer for it to take affect.
Run Malwarebytes in safe mode. And have you downloaded Messenger Plus lately.If so you will find it in Add Remove.Maybe remove that if you find it.

birdface 19:24 13 Aug 09

From another thread.Worth a look.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5