Home page fails to appear

L plate marky 15:01 27 May 04

Sometimes when I boot up the windows home page fails to appear leaving me with a completely black screen, and no option (that I know of) other than doing a manual shut down with the on button.

hugh-265156 15:09 27 May 04

do you mean the desktop fails to load when you log on?

what version of windows please and any more info as to when this started happening and hardware please may also help.

L plate marky 21:47 27 May 04

Sorry, I'm on XP. What happens is I get the Bios screen when I switch on, followed by the XP loading screen. This is normally followed by a blue welcome screen for a second and then my desktop screen appears. However sometimes the XP loading screen is followed by a black screen which stays black. Nothing will come up on screen and the only course of action is to switch off and start again. My pc is a dell 2600 desktop about 10 months old.

( this problem is occaisional but I'd rather know about it now than wait until it happens all the time)

hugh-265156 00:48 28 May 04

not sure but this is what i would try maybe.

try starting in safe mode

(tap repeatedly F8 when switching on the computer)and choose it from the list.

does it start ok in safe mode?

if so then click 'start/run' and type msconfig and click ok. next click start up tab and make a note of what boxes are ticked here.

untick them all, click apply and ok. restart the computer.

if the computer now starts up ok, go back to msconfig/startup again and put one tick back at a time and restart each time.

when the last one you tick hangs it you have found your culpret maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…