Home networks

niklad 22:59 15 Feb 04

i have just got a new broadband connection and would like to share this between two computers. ideally i dont want to have both computers on to access the internet and would also like to share files and data between the two. one computer is running windows XP and the other windows 98. any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

Forum Editor 23:12 15 Feb 04

if you want to be able to access the connection without having the other computer running, and this can either be a conventional wired model or a wireless type.

The principle's the same in both cases:

1. Connect the router (with its own inbuilt ADSL modem) to the phone line.

2. Install network adapters (either Ethernet or wireless) in both machines.

3. Connect the two machines to the router if you're using cable, and use one of them to configure the router, using the HTML interface that comes with the router software. If the router is of the wireless variety it will come complete with a cable so you can connect a computer to it for the configuration process.

Thereafter the router (either type) will automatically make the connection when it's booted, and either computer (or both of them) can use the broadband connection.

4. Run the networking wizard on the Windows XP machine, and select the option for it to make a floppy disk for use on the Win98 machine.

It's all pretty straightforward, and you should have no problems. You can choose external USB network adapters if you go the wireless route, and if you do that the only thing to remember is to install the adapter software before you connect it to the computer.

roy 23:21 15 Feb 04

Your quickest and cheapest way would be to put a network card in each pc, about £10 each, and join the two with a cross-over cable. Use your Win XP machine to instal the network wizard and follow instructions. When offered the option, save the wizard on a floppy to instal onto your Win98 pc and do so. You will have to use the wizard to set up Internet sharing as well.

Internet sharing with this setup will need you to nominate one of your pc's as a gate way and that machine will have to be switched on and online for the other to access the net although both can go online at the same time.

If this is not satisfactory then you would need to use a router so that either machine could connect independently.

roy 23:22 15 Feb 04

Beaten by the FE

Smegs 01:45 17 Dec 04

Just adding this to "my postings".

My wife came home tonight, and told me that she can set-up her laptop to run off our BB, as she works from home alot.

Sorry everyone.

compaq1234567890 01:51 17 Dec 04

Once you setup your pc network on xp computer you can write those setting to a floppy but i am not sure wether you can use that disk on 98.

roy 16:34 18 Dec 04

compaq1234567890

Yes , you can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…