Home networking with XP and Me and WiFi - help!

SV 14:08 01 Oct 03

I have a PC running XP and a laptop running Me. The PC has an ADSL connection. I'm using Belkin's 54g wireless cards to connect them peer-to-peer. Both have file sharing enabled. I used the XP wizard to set up sharing.

Here's my problem. The laptop can see the shared files on the PC and can also use the PC's ADSL connection and its printer. But the PC can't see the laptop. If I select "view workgroup computers", all it can see is itself.

I'm running Norton Personal Firewall 2003 on both computers - but I've disabled it while I try to sort the problem out.

Can anyone help please?

SV 21:05 05 Oct 03

When I installed my wireless cards, the Belkin installation utility allocated them IP addresses. When I ran the Windows XP home networking wizard, it set up my PC correctly, but when I ran the floppy disc it created on my laptop, it switched the IP address allocation setting in Network Properties for TCP/IP to "obtain an IP address automatically". I reset it to use the address assigned by the Belkin configuration utility and - hey presto - the PC could suddenly see the laptop's files shares and printers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…