Home networking with Sygate problem

Number six 21:00 09 May 05

Posted this yesterday on helproom forum with no response so would be very grateful if anyone can offer any help. My brother has a simple home network set up - two pc's connected using ethernet crossover cable. First machine running XPPro, cable broadband, printer attached, Sygate Personal Firewall (free version) loaded. Second machine running ME. XP machine is fine, can share files OK with ME machine. However the ME machine cannot see or share with XP machine, nor use it's printer. It can, however, access internet OK. I have configured Sygate "Network Neighbourhood" to allow browsing and sharing on the local network adaptor, and have created an "advanced rule" to allow all traffic in both directions, all ip addresses, all ports and protocols, all applications for the local adaptor. Still no joy!! Where do I go from here? I am on the point of giving up and trying Zone Alarm, which I believe allows you to set up LAN's in a trusted zone. Definitely a firewall problem, all is fine if I turn off Sygate.

selfbuild 22:38 11 May 05

First off, delete the Advance Rule you have setup....

What services have you got set to ask or blocked when you first open sygate?

Number six 20:07 12 May 05

Hi selfbuild. All applications are set to "ask", except the following, which are set to "allow":
NT Kernel

LSA Shell

Generic Host Process for win32 services

Application Layer Gateway Service

NDIS user mode I/O driver.
The advanced rule I have set up applies to the local adaptor only (for the local network), so surely this should be safe?

tenplus1 13:27 13 May 05

Make sure that under Options - Network Neighberhood in the Sygate Prefs, you have ticked BOTH Network Neighberhood boxes for each of the cards in the list above them...

I had the same problems and this fixed it... I simply forgot to select my 2nd network adapter and tick the boxes...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…