HOME NETWORKING SECURITY

SECTION31 13:56 23 Apr 06

Hi guys,

I have successfully set a two computer home network using a BT Voyager 2110 router physically connected to my new computer and a BT Voyager 1055 UAB 2.0 adaptor connected to my old computer to run wirelessly off the new computer.

What I want to do now is make the network as secure as possible. I know a little about general computing but this is my first venture into wireless networking so I wondered what advice you experts might have for securing my network. I have read various articles on security but have found most of them confusing or incomplete as far as step by step procedure is concerned, plus some of them have been contradictory.

Any help and advise would be gratefully received.

Colin

mgmcc 15:05 23 Apr 06

Ideally, you want to enable WPA-PSK encryption in your network. This is set up in the router's wireless security settings where you set the encryption type to WPA and enter a Pre-Shared Key - a string of between 8 and 63 characters.

Then, when you connect to the router with a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC, you will have to enter that same 'key' in order to be able to access it.

SECTION31 15:39 23 Apr 06

Ok thanks, I'll try that for a start. one question - will my old computer have to enter the key each time it wants to run?

mgmcc 16:53 23 Apr 06

The computer that connects wirelessly should retain the settings and connect automatically when it finds your network is available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…