home networking nightmare

pcgal 15:41 29 Jan 03

Hi, Ive attempted to setup my home network which is basically 2 computers plugged together via onboard ethernet adapter( crossover cable). I've done ok so far considering my limited pc knowledge and so far I can share files and share the 1 printer if my firewalls are switched off.I can't access the internet with the secondary computer via the host. Also do I need a firewall on both pc's? I have tried to configure the firewalls by ticking "sharefiles with other computers" but still no good and after ticking the share files on the host I did a quick security scan at click here which informs me my netbios is now vulnerable and some ports are wide open. I have xp professional on both computers running mcafee antivirus/firewall..pcgalxx

MartinT-B 16:09 29 Jan 03

AHA!

There is a BRILLIANT "all you ever wanted to know about networks, but didn't dare ask site"

It's called World Of Windows Networking (WOWN) - put together by a German chap who seems to know his stuff.

click here

This is his blurb...

I am a native German, living now for 15 years in Brussels/Belgium, working in the European Headquarter (in Zaventem) of

(click here), a wholly own subsidiary of Gerber Scientific

As part of my job, I have gained some experience in Windows95 Networking and trouble-shooting. But nobody knows everything, so I am also a regular visitor on the Internet Newsgroups.

Hoping myself to get answer on my questions, I started to answer on question posted by others. But to avoid to have to type again-and-again the same answers (and some answers can be quite lengthy), I decided to put some hints and procedures up on my website
I would really appreciate to get some info from you, how you found my
Website and your comments, so please fill out the Feedback Form.
For direct Mail communications, you can use the Contact page.

MartinT-B 16:11 29 Jan 03

PS

He started in W95 - his site covers all Windows OS's incl MS-DOS

MartinT-B 16:18 29 Jan 03

Looking through his site - it seems you might need to assign each pc a name AND an IP number - not one that will be used on the net, there are reserved IP's for home use.

He has an example of how to use XP prof with Zone Alarm - so that might help you.

scotty 16:52 29 Jan 03

I remember reaching a similar level of success with my network - working except for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

ICS must be installed on one of the PCs.

Do not assign fixed IP addresses to both PCs. Try having a fixed IP address on the PC with the internet connection and configure so the other PC is given an IP address by the first. (This arrangement also resulted in a much quicker recognition of the network)

I use Zone Alarm and have it running on both computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…