Home networking information needed?

shezzer 14:14 21 Jun 03

could anyone advise me what type of network cards are needed so that my son can connect his computer to mine so that he can share the internet connection there seems to be so many different cards im not sure which ones the best for our use. i have just seen on tele a belkin starter kit with two cards and a 25 metre cable for about £32 wich seemed to be what we need cheers mike

Kitz E Kat 15:00 21 Jun 03

Sounds like that's the one! You only need a basic 10/100 NIC card in each computer and a crossover cable. Belkin gear is as far as my use goes is pretty good.

What OS you runnin? XP is the easiest to configure as a host computer with either XP,2000 or 98 as client.

You will of course run into problems!!!!
But at least you know where to go!!!

Happy networking
Kitz E Kat

jazzypop 15:04 21 Jun 03

The simplest way to network 2 PCs is to use two PCI Ethernet 10/100 network adaptors, and a length of Cat5 Ethernet cable, sufficient to reach between the two.

To explain the jargon a little....

PCI - the expansion slot inside your PC that the network adaptor (or 'card') will fit into. Make sure that both PCs have a spare PCI slot.

Ethernet - an agreed standard for networking

10/100 - your cards will be able to communicate at either 10 Mb/s or 100 Mb/s (MegaBits per second). If connected with Cat5 cable, they will work at 100 Mb/s.

Cat5 - an agreed standard for allowing an Ethernet standard to operate reliably at 100 Mb/s.

click here for simple instructions for networking your PCs

Tazfan 16:03 21 Jun 03

Shop around at local computer shops and fairs. £32 is expensive for two cards and cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…