HOME NETWORKING WITH BROARDBAND

JJW 17:30 19 Oct 03

My local phone exchange has just been upgraded to Broardband, great I though, I'll get me a Broadband pack from my ISP. Then I started looking through what you need and how to connect and found that the basic pack they send you only works on one computor. If you want to connect further computors you will have to buy a special modem at about £160.00. I have a small home network set up with two computors connected together via an ethernet hub, the second connecting to the internet through the first (host), both can be connected at the same, the second can dial up the first to connect independantly of the host commputor. I phoned up my ISP and asked them as I already had a home network set up would it still work with there basic (free) connection kit? Cannot give out any information on home networks as we don't support them! was there reply. Tryed another ISP and although they were a bit more helpful they only wanted to sell me there network modem. SO, are they correct and I will have to buy there network modem pack, or are they just pulling a fast one and getting people to buy equipment they don,t need if they already have a network set up?

Bagsey 17:40 19 Oct 03

I am in this situation with my broadband being setup on Thursday, so I made equiries on the same problem that you have and was advised to buy a router and a couple of network cables. Cost for a wired router with cables from Maplins approx £65.00. I have not yet gone ahead because I hope that I will be able to hear of a better (cheaper) solution

spikeychris 17:40 19 Oct 03

Most ISP's hit you with those comments and lots don't support it but click here for a true rundown.

Ivor_Monkey 18:47 19 Oct 03

Bagsey is right. Just get a router. Then follow the destructions. But don't bother checking how to do things with your ISP, because it is not in their interest to help. Post any problems on here.
As you probably already know, a router allows machines to connect to the internet independently.

Elrond 19:00 19 Oct 03

I've just invested in a US Robotics Router which included a print server. Its excellent value for money.

click here

As a few reviews on that website say, it is poorly documented . But there's enough info on the USR website.

Eagie 19:30 19 Oct 03

Like a lot of people, I have two pcs networked to each other via ethernet cards. As long as the computer with the ADSL modem attached to it is on, then the other PC can access broadband too.

daveTR1 19:57 19 Oct 03

I run a wireless network on BT Openworld. If you've got XP it's simple - configure connected computer as a server, the others as clients, takes ten minutes. Even with all four on the net, its quicker than the bosses 56k at work!

Bagsey 22:33 19 Oct 03

Please explain your system more fully. I have XP on my desktop and ME on wifes laptop. Will it work with your setup. Thanks

jolorna 22:39 19 Oct 03

^

Eagie 08:35 20 Oct 03

Run the network setup wizard on your XP machine and it'll give you a disk to setup the other machine. On my two system network one is running XP and the other ME just like you.

James

Bagsey 14:43 21 Oct 03

Thanks for the info. I will probably need to come back to you on this one when I get my Broadband connection. Fingers crossed, Tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…