Home networking advice required.

martjc 17:01 31 Jul 03

At present my wife and myself share a phoneline for internet connection. We are thinking about changing to Broadband - always on, faster downloads etc. - but need some advice on connecting the two machines together.

I've heard I can use a simple null modem cable. How does it connect to the machines? Will I be able to get one about six metres long? What are the pitfalls of null modem? Are the physical modems needed?

Secondly, If I want to introduce another machine into the equation, what's the procedure for wireless networking? Can broadband be sent over wireless net?

AndySD 17:16 31 Jul 03

ADSL or Cable broadband?

mdshamilton 17:19 31 Jul 03

click here

Try this link to Linksys' step by step guide to networking.

I don't think you can use a null modem cable, The broadband cable co (I use Telewest) provide a cable modem that plugs into a 10/100baseT network card in the desktop. You could then link the second PC to the first PC via a network cable.

Wireless - I think you need a wireless router and a wireless network card.

martjc 17:39 31 Jul 03

The say there is no need for 10/100baseT card, just a spare USB socket.

mdshamilton 14:47 01 Aug 03

Strange - that's the way Telewest set my broadband access up, a cable modem with a network wire that they plugged into a 10/100baseT card that they supplied and installed in my PC. I think file transfers etc between PCs when you set up a home network will run faster using a 100baseT card (100Mbps), I think USB runs at 6Mbps.

Here are some links to some networking sites, there are many ways to skin a cat:

click here

click here

click here

GORAL 15:55 01 Aug 03

They supplied me with the cable modem and one Network card (you can buy your own). I bought a second NIC card for my wife's PC together with 2 patch cables and a Netgear Ethernet Hub.

Works a treat and ,especially with Win XP it's easy to set up.

Good luck.

silliw 21:47 01 Aug 03

I also have cable telewest Broadband running on a host machine which communicates with two laptops creating a three machine home network. My broadband modem is connected to the host machine on a NIC card. I purchased three netgear wireless USB adaptors running at 11Mbs and they communicate peer to peer to all machines. Netgear advise that you can run up to 5 adaptors in a home environment before you would need to use a dedicated wireless router. The adaptors run quite efficiently within a radius of about 50 metres although the signal does drop in certain areas of the house where walls block the signal. However I am very happy with them and they cost about £40 each online.

basell 21:57 01 Aug 03

I purchased a Belkin crossover kit £30 for two Ethernet cards and 60m cable.
Installed using their setup disc with no problems it worked first time. Two PC?S running ME. I have since upgraded one PC to XP. XP detected the other PC and setup the network with out any problems it also detected my second printer that was not networked before and installed it.

martjc 14:38 02 Aug 03

Telewest assure me that there is no need for 10/100BaseT card with their NEW method of connection. They say a USB socket is ample to supply broadband at about 10 times the speed of my modem.

Who am I to argue? The proof of the pud will be in the eating...

Well, thanks for everything folks, I am closing this thread now.

SEASHANTY 15:35 02 Aug 03

NTL Broadband engineer informed me that BB was far easier to set up using ethernet card rather than USB. Believe the USB connection required drivers whereas ethernet doesn't. Sometimes problems occur with the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…