Home Networking Advice

g_angel 14:10 07 Nov 09

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my home "network". I am looking to add a NAS to my set up, and activate additional wall ports, but I seem to be out of connections...

Here is a bit of set up information:

* My apartment has two network ports in each of four locations: living room + dining room (which are both in the same room), bedroom 1 and bedroom 2.
* Patch bay is in the utility cupboard
* BT Broadband router (also in utility cupboard) has wireless and three RJ45 connections on the back
* Each RJ45 connection is plugged into the patch bay, enabling three ports out of eight in the apartment - this leaves the BB router at maximum connections used, and yet five of my ports in the apartment dead...

My question is: how can I add more capacity?

Am I able to take one of the connections out of the back of the broadband router and plug it into something which will allow me to create more connections, to enable the other ports (and also to plug a NAS into)? Do I need a larger capacity router to start with (and will that screw up my BT Broadband connection)?

This isn't my IT strong forté...

Many thanks!

Jollyjohn 15:44 07 Nov 09

Hi

I use a 5 port switch probably in place of your Patch bay. Example of switch click here
These come in a range of sizes, just reread your post and see you need an minimum of 9 ports.

So the set up is Router to one pc. Cat5 cable to switch with three computers connected to the switch.

g_angel 15:58 07 Nov 09

So,

With the router being in my cupboard, I take a CAT5 cable and run it from the router to the switch? I can then take the additional cables from the switch and plug them into the patch bay, enabling the ports the cables correspond to?

As a side note, I don't have a PC permanently connected to the router... Does this make a difference?

The main machine in my apartment is my laptop, that I connect via WiFi.

dawood 07:30 08 Nov 09

Yes, you can get a network switch to expand your network, have a look on this network switch article click here to get more info. Hope it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac