Home networking

Tazg101 17:47 20 Jul 03

I have 3 computers in my house that arn't connected to a network yet. i want to share my broadband connection wih all 3. Am bit confused when i look at products, do i need a adsl router and a network hub as well. Or can i connect the 3 for the internet just using one product? any help will be great.

jazzypop 18:34 20 Jul 03

Assuming your broadband connection is ADSL, then all you need is a 4-port ADSL router. The router will connect to your ADSL line, and all 3 PCs will connect to the router (one to each port).

You only need an additional hub if you want to connect more than 4 network devices to the router - in that case, the hub acts a 'splitter', allowing you to connect one router port to the hub, and a number of additional PCs to the hub.

I recommend Netgear or D-Link models.

RossThomo 21:46 20 Jul 03

I have 3 computers networked at home, all sharing cable broadband. The process was fairly simple using three network cards (1 ISA and 2 PCI, originally I had 3 ISA )
They are BNC cards and are connected using coax, "T" fittings and 50ohm end fittings. All of these are readily available especially from computer shows (used). Setting up the file and Internet sharing is a little fiddly (XP is much easier than 98) but not beyond anyone with medium computer knowledge. Some of the bits I scrounged from work the rest cost less than £15.... A bargain and it works superb for internet access and LAN gaming.

Steve N 21:51 20 Jul 03

A note on using Routers for broadband (ADSL) if you want a one box solution makes sure that the router has a built in ADSL modem like the Netgear DG814, which I have and would recommend.
Then all you need is a network card for each PC and cable to connect all the PCs to the router and standard phone cable to connect your router to the telephone socket. You will also need a microfilter for each socket in the house a phone is connected to so that the Telephone and ADSL frequencies are seperated.

katedi 22:02 20 Jul 03

I have just installed a 54g wireless network this week. I have not networked before and bought a netgear laptop bundle containing dm602 adsl modem, wgr614 54g router and wg511 cardbus laptop card. I added a wg311 for the desktop.
It all "plugged an played" in XP, the only issue being getting the wg511 laptop card to work in some very old Toshiba laptops -this required a tweak of the bios -but the solution was easy to find, and these are secondary machines the kids use for homework.

We can now sit anywhere in the house or garden to work or play, we can block outgoing requests to unwanted sites like LOP, and a .11b laptop I borrowed from work connected so seamlessly, I did not even realise it had connected. (I have now introduced that all important network logon).

If you are networking from scratch go 54g wireless - it is considerably faster than an adsl modem connected through a usb1.1
regards
kate

Somewhere95 01:09 21 Jul 03

I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops networked in our place, and I'm NO expert. To do this using the wireless route was way beyond my budget. But the cable methods listed above are simple and RELIABLE. I used an ADSL eTEC (made by Puretek) 4 port modem/router, (though I would not recommend it - they have common probs with connexant chipsets when re-writing to the 'ROM'). I think the D-link is best value for money. RJ-45 network cables come in pre-made lenths and clip to skirting and pelmets etc no probs. A complete doddle (if you have one machine on the network running XP - else a bit more difficult)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…