Home Networking

Greengo 13:24 05 Nov 05

I have two laptops and a desktop. I want to set up a wireless network whereby the desktop can share the printer and have equally access to my broadband internet connection. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this and recommend products.

Jonathan rawlins 14:13 05 Nov 05

At are house, we have a Bt 2 wire 1250 router, and a netgear wireless adapter for are windows desktop. Both work very well. I would, always try and use expensive products, for best result.

i hope this helps you.

Jonathan

mgmcc 16:03 05 Nov 05

Essentially, you need to install a wireless router, the type of which depends on your broadband connection. Cable broadband (NTL and Telewest) uses a "stand-alone" router which connects by ethernet to the supplied Cable Modem. For ADSL broadband via the phone line, you need a combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem".

Any computers which are going to connect "wirelessly" with the router need to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed, but if the desktop PC is close to the router, it can use a "wired" connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NETWORK PRINTER SETUP:

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

h t t p : //
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac