home networking

ozzy 123 22:21 05 Jan 04

Hi all thanks for reading this
can any one please help.
i have got four pc's shared between my children and my self split up between 3 rooms (one of the machines is a lap top)i have got a 56k internet connection and was wanting to share it between all the machines without cableing i was wanting to know about wireless net working and the cost implications of doing this and the wheres and why fors of how its done.
many thanks ozzy...

Forum Editor 23:03 05 Jan 04

I don't recommend sharing a 56k connection between four computers. If two or more of the machines tried to access the connection at once the shared bandwidth would mean that everything would slow to an unacceptable crawl - the telephone line simply wouldn't be able to deliver analogue data fast enough.

If you still want to go ahead you'll need to buy a router - some of the ADSL models have an RS-232 port into which you can plug a 56k analogue modem.

Then you simply need to add a wireless network adapter to each computer. The simplest way of doing this is to use USB adapters - there are many different models at reasonable cost. For the laptop you can get a PCMCIA type adapter, or use the same USB model that you use for the PCs.
It all works very well, and the hardware is easy to set up.

I do urge you to think carefully before committing to a couple of hundred pounds worth of expenditure though, because you may be disappointed with the result.

ozzy 123 18:33 06 Jan 04

hi thanks for your advice.
youve changed my mind thanks for opening my eyes and saviung me a lot of money.
best regards ozzy.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…