Home Networking

astec123 00:29 09 Aug 03

I have 2 computers one running XP the other 98se.They are in the same room and I have heard that you can network them together using a method called hpna but want to know if this is a good idea I want to just use the other computers word files as they are used by all the family.Is this method relativly cheap,A good way to connect the computers,is is going to tie up the phone line and finnally what would i need to use to set it up and how would I go about it?

Terrahawk 00:44 09 Aug 03

is this any help click here personally i would go the network card route network card in each machine with a crossover cable then run the xp wizard which will also let you set up the 98 machine
components required for the network card route would be 2 10/100 network cards 1 crossover cable 1 floppy disk
good luck with whatever you choose

bidders_dad 18:23 09 Aug 03

cheapest solution and slowest is to use a serial cable and a prog like laplink if all you want is files.

recap 19:40 09 Aug 03

Terrahawk, is right. A network card in both and 1 crossover cable will do the trick. Cost should be under £30. Run the network wizard from the XP machine making a copy on the floppy mentioned be Terrahawk and install it on the 98se machine. Your network should be up and running in under an hour from start to finish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…