Home Network with XP and Vista

honest al 14:34 13 Jul 07

I have a desktop running XP Pro and a laptop runnuing Vista Home Premium. I have a BT 2110 wireless router connected to broadband. My desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and the laptop is wireless. I have tried to set up a network between the two computers with no success. Network and Sharing Centre on the laptop is showing the PC connected to the internet via the router but is not showing the desktop connected o the network. I have set upm the network using the wizards and have disabled the firewalls on both computers. I am running MacAvee Virus Scan on the desktop and MacAvee Security Centre on the laptop. Could somebody tell me how to set a network up bearing in mind I am not a computer expert.

BurrWalnut 18:26 13 Jul 07

This is the usual route, some of which you have already done :-

Firstly, set up a workgroup by right-clicking My Computer, Properties, Computer Name and change the default workgroup name to something a bit more meaningful, also make the computer name recognisable, e.g. MainPC. The computer should reboot. Now identify the folders/files you want to share and right-click them and select share and read/write access. A little hand should appear under those that are shared.

Repeat this on other PCs, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name. Note that Vista is slightly different, have a look here click here

To copy files, go to Start, My Network Places (Network in Vista) and the computers/folders/files should appear. Open 2 explorer windows and drag them from one PC to the other.

honest al 11:36 14 Jul 07

I have set up the network OK and the two computers on the network are showing in the network window on my laptop running vista. However I am unable to access the desktop files/folders on the desktop running XP. i receive message window saying Windows cannot access Desktop Error code Ox80070035 The network path was not found. I have enabled file and printer sharing on both PCs

BurrWalnut 14:20 14 Jul 07

Download and install this on the WinXP computer(s) click here

honest al 14:38 15 Jul 07

Have installed the download suggested still cannot see any folders or files on the desktop computer. On network map on laptop it is showing both computers connected to the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…