Home Network - What do I need?

tolly2 11:31 07 Oct 04

Hi, my daughter is going to have a laptop for christmas and I intend to share the ntl broadband connection we have. The pc is downstairs and the laptop will be upstairs. I would prefer a wireless network, but I'm not sure what I need and how to get it going.

laurieballard 12:21 07 Oct 04

You need a wireless network card in each pc and also a wireless router. The broadband modem will be plugged into the router and you will be able to access it from whichever system. This will be the same for a wired network as well. You can purchase network cards and the router from click here. The router must be turned on at all times for either sytem to access the internet

PsiFox 12:32 07 Oct 04

You will need a wirless network card for each machine.

PCMCIA for Laptop

PCI or USB for desktop downstairs.

Wireless combined modem/router compatible with NTL services.

Be aware that depending on thicknesses of walls/floors or ceilings you may have difficulties.
There ae 2 standards for wirless "B" and "G".

B is slower but has more range than
G with increased speed but shorter working distances.

It is also possible if you need them to fit booster antennae.

You could get away with just the network cards (running in ad-hoc mode)but would need internet connection sharing on the machines and the master machine would have to be on for the other to have internet access.

PsiFox

terryr48 16:28 07 Oct 04

Check out the ntl homepage-click on services,there is a link to wireless networking telling you all you need to buy and where.

DPD 20:47 07 Oct 04

There are several good web sites on wireless networking that have been mentioned in the past on this forum.
I have ntl and a similar issue to you. After research I went with a Linksys wireless router with 4 ports, into which I plugged the ntl feed and main downstairs pc [running XP]. Then a wireless USB network adapter into the upstairs pc [98 SE]. Configuration took some time - the different OS's probably didn't help. I also found that the wireless signal varied in strength and I often had to reconfigure.
To cut a long story short I ended up cabling the 2 pc's together, and now can enjoy easy broadband access on both machines. The wireless router though wasn't wasted because I now have independent broadband access for both machines, rather than having to route through the downstairs pc and keep that on all the time.

DPD 20:51 07 Oct 04

On re-reading my note it gives the impression that I cabled the 2 pc's together. What I should have said was that both pc's each have their own cables into the router.

Sorry, bad day at the office....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5