Home Network using cards and crossover cable

Abes 21:59 10 Aug 03

Not sure if theres anyone out there that can help,
iam trying to connect two computers 1.XP and 1.Me together with ethernet cards and crossover cable, problem is i hav'ent got a clue how to go about it, have installed cards and thats about it, what i need is a detailed description and maybe some screen shots of how to go about it, i know its a lot to ask but any help would be most appricaited many thanks in advance.

you've done the hard bit, not put in the cable . then on the xp system run the network setup wizard. (you will need your xp disk or a blank floppy handy) To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

follow the instructions and all will be done in 5 minutes.

thats meant to be now put in the cable

Terrahawk 22:29 10 Aug 03

yep horiz5 is correct plug crossover cable into your network cards, run xp network wizard, have a floppy disk to hand as you will be asked if you want to run setup on other machines, let it load the program on to the floppy when complete take the floppy out put in in the me machine and run the program on the floppy job done
good luck,

LastChip 22:40 10 Aug 03

You have started OK! I assume when you fitted the network cards, each system loaded the appropriate drivers??.

To check this, right click "My Computer", and in ME select: Properties; Device Manager; and make sure you show "Network Adapters", with no Yellow exclamation marks. In XP, it's much the same, but after Right Clicking My Computer, select: Properties; Hardware; Device Manager (I think!).

Assuming all is well, connect your crossover cable to each computer's network card, and then configure as follows; click here (just ignore the pictures because they refer to hub based systems) and follow the configuration procedure here; click here

If after following these links you still have any questions, please come back and ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…