Home network setup with Wireless on 1 pc

carheex 18:43 06 Aug 05

I recently purchased the netgear MR814v2tw with wireless USB adapter and am having a few problems setting it up. I have connected my broadband modem to the netgear router, and the router to the pc - this gives me my internet connection which works fine. In another room in my house I have another pc with the wireless USB adapter connected to it and the drivers installed. This pc shows that I am connected to my wireless network. However, I cannot access the internet or email, nor can I view the main pc (which has the router connected directly to it via a cable) for file sharing. The pc with the USB wireless adapter shows an excellent strength & quality signal.

Please can you advise what I need to do to be able to share files between the two pc's wirelessly, and also to share the internet connection of the main pc. To recap, 1pc is connected to the router via the cable and one is connected via the USB adapter.

Both pc's are Pentium 3 spec or above and running WinXP sp2. My modem is a scientific atlanta webstar DPX100 and my ISP is Blueyonder (telewest broadband)

Many thanks in advance

Forum Editor 18:57 06 Aug 05

One is the file-sharing problem, and that's possibly being caused by the fact that you may not have run the networking wizard on both computers.

Think of the networking aspect as being entirely separate from the wireless internet connection sharing - you must set the network up before your computers can share files. Run the wizard, and make sure that you use the same workgroup name on both machines; by default you'll be offered MSHOME, but you can choose a name of your own if you like. Then ensure that both computers have different individual names "main" and "laptop" for instance. Next, you must enable sharing on any folders or files which you want the other machine to access. You must do this on both computers. For security reasons it's not a good idea to share the root of a drive - don't share the whole of your 'C' drive.

That should get the networking under way, although you may find that if you have a firewall running on either or both of the computers you have to turn it off whilst all this is going on.

As part of the network setup you'll be prompted to say how each machine accesses the internet. Tick the appropriate options and let the wizard complete - at the end of it you should find that you can use the connection on both machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…