Home Network Setup

Hooking bear 19:26 27 Feb 05

I have set up a Linksys ADSL Gateway hard wired to PC 1, PC2 has a wireless card - both PCs can access the internet through the Gateway - so far so good. I want to set up a network to share files and the printer - both PCs are running XP Home SP2, I have disabled the firewalls on both PCs enabled file and printer sharing and have set up a network on each PC using the network setup wizard. But I cannot see the other PC from the other either way round - Is there an idiots guide to setting up a Home network available? screen by screen for best?

Thanks for any help

dfghjkl 19:41 27 Feb 05

sorry i cant help but i am in the same boat,so will be watching with interest.

HXP 19:51 27 Feb 05

Hi

Have you set up a folder with full sharing on it - create folder > right click > properties ....

Then try mapping to that folder by
\\name of machine\folder name

Maybe ?

HXP

One of the most common faults in setting up a home network is that the computers belong to different workgroups, the default is MSHOME, which can be used as is or changed to a name of your choice BUT all computers must have the identical workgroup name.

HTH

Hooking bear 20:16 27 Feb 05

Thanks for the ideas - but both PCs have the same name and I have give a folder on both Pcs full sharing - one problem may be that on PC2, the wireless PC, when I use the networksetup Wizard the wizard can only see the disconnected 10/100 Lan connection - I would have expected the wireless connection to show as well?

Any more ideas - Thanks

wato 22:50 27 Feb 05

I have the same problem so - Is it because the network needs to be set as an adhoc network or peer to peer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…