Is home network safer as opposed to public

nissanalmera 16:21 PM 18 Sep 12

Wireless laptop set up to home network,supposed to be hidden,but I can see other computers along side mine.Is this a danger if I am supposed to be hidden? Thanks

onthelimit1 16:52 PM 18 Sep 12

'I can see other computers along side mine.'

Not quite sure what you mean - where are you 'seeing' these other computers? Do you mean other wireless networks?

onthelimit1 16:55 PM 18 Sep 12

A bit more explanation of the situation here.

nissanalmera 17:27 PM 18 Sep 12

Thanks for prompt response. Yes I am talking about currently connected internet access with the bars.I see my own wireless connection by name and underneath sometimes two or three other connections.If I can see them, can they see me and try to connect?

mgmcc 08:59 AM 19 Sep 12

You will always see all of the Available Wireless Networks in the area and others will see yours, but if it it is encrypted with WEP/WPA/WPA2, then only those with the encryption key (network password) can connect to it.

nissanalmera 15:30 PM 19 Sep 12

Thank you mgmcc,You have given me piece of mind.I did not like seeing these others which could be neighbours.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites