Home Network Only Works One Way

jwpaton 16:37 26 Aug 07

I have a desktop wired to my Linksys Router and a laptop connected wirelessly to the router. I have set up a home network so I can share files between the 2 computers and share the printer. Everything worked well for a while and now the network only works one way. I can access my laptop files from my desktop without a problem. The problem is with the laptop: I can see my desktop on the laptop, I can even open the desktop to see the folders that are shared on the desktop (even when I remove or add shared folders the changes appear on the laptop), the problem is I can not open the shared folders from the desktop on the laptop. I get an error message saying that I do not have permission and that the network path was not found.(I have also received the message that there is not enough space on the server to complete the request) However, I can still print from the laptop. I have Norton Antiviruse on the desktop and McAfee on the laptop. I am new to McAfee but this problem has exsisted with Norton, McAfee, and without antivirus software on the laptop. I am new to home networking and do not know what I have done wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

johnem 19:39 26 Aug 07

What Firewall are you running on both machine?Have you downloaded any upgrades for the firewalls? Makesure that both machines are operating on the same network name. Make sure that the "share files and printers" option is ticked on both machines in the network options.

woodchip 20:14 26 Aug 07

Try this, If only one comp is XP use that, All Hardware such as Comps Printers should be switched on. On the XP computer Go to Control Panel Network wizard Fill it in and create a floppy that you use to setup any other computers that are running. The floppy will have one fil,e on it you double click this file to setup other comp's

jwpaton 20:21 26 Aug 07

johnem,
I am running Windows Firewall on both machines and as far as I know I have not downloaded any upgrades for it, unless windows did in automatically. Both machines are on the same network name. The only part I am not sure about is if the "share files and printers" is ticked on both machines. How would I go about finding that?

woodchip 20:37 26 Aug 07

First try it without Windows Firewall Enabled. It's a rubbish firewall anyway. Then go to Windows Explorer by Right click on Start Button click Explore right down at the bottom on the left Click My Network Places if you cannot see Printers at the Bottom look for MShome double click on a Printer to see if you get a message

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5