Home network, just 1 prob I can't sort!

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:39 14 Aug 04

Hi

I have set up a network at home in the following way:

Laptop connects to wireless accesspoint via ethernet. Desktop connects to WAP wirelessly.

I can view everything on the laptop from my desktop but not vice versa.

When, on the laptop, I go into workgroup computers and double click on the icon for my desktop, I get the following message:

"\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I have the admin account on both desktop and laptop so how do I give myself these permissions? I don't recall giving myself any permissions for the desktop to access the laptop?

Both are running XP home by the way.

TIA

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:47 15 Aug 04

bump

Strawballs 00:12 16 Aug 04

Have you tried going to my computer on the desk top then going to the c drive (or whichever one has windows on it) right click this icon and go to allow share.

safemode 09:02 16 Aug 04
  tasslehoff burrfoot 13:49 16 Aug 04

Strawballs, I have done as you suggested with no better result, thanks anyway.

Safemode, I have double checked by going to workgroup computers and right clicking each computer - they both have the same workgroup name.

Any ideas?

Tas

ensonricky 13:59 16 Aug 04

Have you disabled any firewalls?

tasslehoff burrfoot 15:20 16 Aug 04

I have disabled Panda firewall and XP firewall. Have allowed internet connection sharing, ticked the box that says other computers access the net through this one and allowed the box that say other computer users can change the settings.

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 15:35 16 Aug 04

Have just tried pinging. Desktop pings laptop with 0%loss. Laptop pings desktop with 100% loss.

Found this thread click here and followed LastChips advice; pinged 127.0.0.1 which was successfull with 0% loss (or should I post the entire result?).

Now, my laptop obviously can't access the internet so what exactly is 127.0.0.1? And how come I can ping it from my laptop?

LastChip?

Anyone?

TIA

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 15:37 16 Aug 04

Just found the answer the above question.

click here in case anone else doesn't know.

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:35 16 Aug 04

Now I can't ping either comp from the other.

I get "Ping request could not find host [computer name]. Please check the name and try again."

As far as I am aware, nothing has been changed.

Any ideas?

Tas

Rigga 21:50 16 Aug 04

I take it both computers are in the same domain?
(Right click My Computer, properties, computer name tab)

If so and you know how to ping, try ipconfig from the command prompt, and report back the results from both computers.

Then we'll take it from there.

R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…