Home network how to connect vista laptop wireless

lyndaloo 13:26 18 Mar 08

Hi all, I am having real problems connecting my new vista laptop to my xp desktop for file and printer sharing. i have gone through a number of steps with a computer expert to no avail.

Is there anyone out there who can help me with this one please.

System details:

Desktop Win xp ver 2002 sp2 (pc1)

laptop win vista home premium 2006 (pc2)

Wireless router bt voyager 2100

Desktop wired to router

Laptop wireless connected to router

So far I have removed all firewalls, set the same workgroup on both computers, downloaded the link layer topology discovery for the windows xp machine and disabled the IPv6on the vista system , dhcp enabled,enabled file and printer sharing on both computers and removed all passwords on computers and wireless router as discussed in other threads.

When i go into view workgroup computers on the desktop computer network places I can see the icon for my laptop computer but cannot connect to it.

When i go into network sharing centre on the laptop i can see the laptop an dan internet gateway device but not the other computer hower it is visible when i viw the full map of the computer in the network and sharing centre.

It shows

pc2--------wireless-------gateway--------internet

I

I

pc1----------switch

Both computers connect to the internet ok but not to each other.

I was told to try pinging the ip address on each i pinged the desktop to the laptop and the request timed out

I pinged the laptop to the desktop and that was ok.

I tried ip config and did not have any details for ipv4 just ipv6 although ipv4 is enabled and ipv6 had been disabled.

Also when trying to open the shared folders on the laptop it came up with the error message cannot communicate with pc2(192.168.----) network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not recieve a response.

I thought this was strange as this is all on the laptop.

Please bear in mind i am a novice to this and all the steps shown have been instructed to me by someone else, Please give a detailed response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BurrWalnut 14:26 18 Mar 08

To unconditionally share a folder in Vista right-click it > Share, type 'Everyone' (not the quotes), click Add and set the drop down Permission Level alongside Everyone to either Reader or Co-owner then click Share at the bottom.

Make sure that in Network and Sharing Center you have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing set to ‘On’ and, if you‘re not using passwords set Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’, unless you want to set up identical usernames and passwords on all computers in your network. If you have it on, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer.

Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure file and printer sharing is enabled so that each machine can talk to the other(s).

Ashrich 19:07 18 Mar 08

This may help , click here , hopefully that will do the job .

Ashley

Eric10 21:09 18 Mar 08

I had a similar problem with a friend's Vista laptop and had followed all the same advice as you have with the same lack of success. The PC's icon could be seen on the laptop but when it was double-clicked access was denied with the following error message:
"\\XXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions." where XXXX was his computer name.

I finally stumbled across a solitary item on the Internet that seemed unlikely but, since nothing else had worked, I gave it a try.

This webpage said that a lot of major computer builders were sending out their Vista laptops without the Client for Microsoft Networks software installed.

Well that was easy enough to check. Network and Sharing Center > Manage network connections > Wireless Network Connection Properties. Sure enough there was no entry for Client for Microsoft Networks so I installed it by way of the Install button in the same Properties dialogue box and rebooted.

This fixed the problem and I could access the PC's shared folders with no errors.

This may not be the cure for your problem but it won't hurt to look.

lyndaloo 22:55 18 Mar 08

I just found out that my router does not support upnp would this be a reaseon why I cant connect?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017