Home Network - Getting Started

dublincity 00:29 01 Jul 05

I've got 2 PC's, both on XP Pro, running at the same time using a KVM Switch and a USB-USB Data Transfer set-up.

There are ethernet cards in each PC and after some problems I've connected them up with a crossover cable. The ZA Internet Zone Security is set to medium level on both PC's. For the 6th or 7th time I repeated the network installation process with the wizard.

The ethernet cards seem to be connected ok with the crossover cable and at each end there was a steady amber light plus a flashing green light.

That's now changed - on the 'new' PC (LAN2) there are steady amber & green lights whereas on the 'old' PC (LAN1) there is just a steady green light. An icon in the taskbar of the new PC shows up the message, "Status: Limited or no connectivity."

My dial-up data had been changed from my username & password to my own name and no password so I've had to correct that to dial up.

In my 'network connections' windows, both PC's now have Local Area Connection icons, numbered 1 & 2 respectively.

At the moment, the new PC is connected to the internet. Can anybody tell me how, when I key over to the old PC, I can get that connected to the internet via the live connection of the new PC?

Many thanks ................

dublincity 00:36 01 Jul 05

I got the light colours wrong - I should have said, "...... on the 'new' PC (LAN2) there are steady amber & green lights whereas on the 'old' PC (LAN1) there is just a steady AMBER light."

Hairy Yeti 00:40 01 Jul 05

To start with we need to check if the PC's are 'seeing' each other.

For the moment shut down zonealarm (to be switched back on and set up when you network comms are up).

Run the wizard again.

Does XP seem happy with the connection now?

dublincity 00:58 01 Jul 05

Thanks - I'll do that ..........

dublincity 01:09 01 Jul 05

I've done that and left ZA shut off on both PC's .........

The lights are the same as before - green + amber on one PC and amber only on the other.

How do we check if the PC's are 'seeing' each other? This is new to me .........

Thanks.

retep888 02:38 01 Jul 05

How did you run your network wizard?

Click start>connect to>view all connection>click network places on the left>view work group computers

If you got it set up correctly,you are able to see all computers in the same work group<seeing each other>

dublincity 03:54 01 Jul 05

Thanks for the comments.

How did I run the network wizard?

......... Other -> This computer connects directly to the internet. I do not have a network yet -> Completed name boxes -> Turn on file & printer sharing -> sure? yes -> auto configuration -> just finish with wizard

On the New PC I can get to My Network Places and see 'Local Network SharedDocs on New PC (String)'

String is the name of the partition with an XP Pro OS - there's another partition named Beast, also with XP Pro and I've used the same wizard sequence on that.

On the Old PC (named Tortoise) there isn't a 'My Network Places' but a 'Microsoft Windows Network'. There is an 'Office' icon (OFFICE being the Workgroup name) which when clicked lists Printer, Shared Docs, Printers & Faxes, Scheduled Tasks.

Cheers.

dublincity 04:03 01 Jul 05

Thanks for the comments.

......... Other -> This computer connects directly to the internet. I do not have a network yet -> Completed name boxes -> Turn on file & printer sharing -> sure? yes -> auto configuration -> just finish with wizard

On the New PC I can get to My Network Places and see 'Local Network SharedDocs on New PC (String)'

String is the name of the partition with an XP Pro OS - there's another partition named Beast, also with XP Pro and I've used the same wizard sequence on that.

On the Old PC (named Tortoise) there isn't a 'My Network Places' but a 'Microsoft Windows Network'. There is an 'Office' icon (OFFICE being the Workgroup name) which when clicked lists Printer, Shared Docs, Printers & Faxes, Scheduled Tasks.

Cheers.

dublincity 04:05 01 Jul 05

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers.

dublincity 04:05 01 Jul 05

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers.

dublincity 04:08 01 Jul 05

This page kept timing out so I went back a page a clicked Post Response again - several times by the look of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017