Home network dilema

moose1999 12:58 18 Nov 03

I am trying to set up a home network but there seems to be very little hard and fast info out there.
The two computers are 25m and one flight of stairs apart. Do I get a wireless router etc, (what kind of distances can they handle) or do I conect two pieces of network cable together to link the machines(will there be any signal problems over this distance)
Also I understand I will need a router as I have a dynamic ADSL IP address, is this correct.

Any ideas

Thanks

zoomer 13:08 18 Nov 03

click here , all the info you need

if you go for wireless make sure you have a decent level of encryption..........

DieSse 14:58 18 Nov 03

A cabled LAN would do the job fine. The standard maximum distance is 100m, so no problems there.

You need a NIC (Network Interface Card) in each system, a crossover wired cable, and then you install internet connection sharing (as well as any file/printer sharing you want). Total cost under £50

Or if you want to spend (a lot) more and get more flexibility - you can do the same by wireless. Then you will need a wireless router/modem, and a wireless card in each system. Total cost probably in the £200-300 region.

Legolas 15:39 18 Nov 03

A cabled network is relatively easy to set up as DieSse has said, although it would be helpful to know what OS,s you are running.

If you want to be able to access the Internet from the machine upstairs without the other machine being on you will need a router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017