Home network connection problem

jeffp 20:14 20 Oct 04

I have just recently reinstalled windows on two of my pc's which are networked with two lan cards and a 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch. Before reinstalling windows they worked fine but since then I can't seem to get connected. pc no. 1 works okay and accesses the shared drives of pc no. 2 okay but pc no. 2 won't access the shared drives of pc no 1. It sees the workgroup and even sees both pc 1 and pc 2 as icons in the workgroup folder but when I click on the icon for pc 1 the pc gives the following error message: pc1 is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found. No matter what I do i still get this message from pc2. Pc1 has windows me installed and Pc2 has windows xp installed and I am the administrator so I am not sure what to do, this problem has crippled my network system for the last week, if anyone could help me out here as I am not very knowledgeable with networking protocols. I have obviously done something wrong but I can't think of anything I have done different from the last time I set the network up.

JonnyTub 20:23 20 Oct 04

right click on the files, folders drives, etc you want to share and click the properties tab, follow the given instructions from there to share.

JonnyTub 20:24 20 Oct 04

"properties tab"??

ricght click on the drive and select properties. when the dialogue box come up click on the sharing tab.

jeffp 23:53 21 Oct 04

My problem has been solved. I reinstalled windows on pc2 and the network was fine, after installing macafee firewall the network went off again, so obviously macafee firewall was to blame.I searched macafee's options and found one called trust lan which was unticked. I ticked the option box and my network was back online again. I wish I'd known it was that simple I have had this problem for days without success. I am now installing all the updates for xp on pc2 so I am hoping that sp2 won't kill my network as this includes a firewall as well as other security options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…