home network with adsl

Madrat 05:32 07 Aug 03

Hellp

I need to set up a home network on broadband but i dont want to keep my pc on all the time as you have to with a normal network i dont want a wirles system as they are more trouble than they are worth.

Is ther a way to split the adsl conection between 2 pc and still be able to turn 1 off without disconecting the other? I supose i need some kind of router but never doen this befor so have no idea any hellp would be aprishiated

Ian

jimv7 08:29 07 Aug 03

Adsl modem router or adsl cable router depending on the service, ie bt or telewest.

router connects to the net, both pc's connect to the router's hub, either can access the net singly or together.

Most routers come with a built in 'nat' firewall.

Others will probably recommend which router to go for if you mention which isp you are thinking off.

Madrat 09:30 07 Aug 03

im on freeserve broad band not realy botherd about a firwall never use one

toothwright 18:48 07 Aug 03

My son persuaded me to invest in a "Netgear" router - best thing since sliced bread!!!! far easier and more convenient than a conventional hub - as you say, there is no need for on machine to act as server and be switched on all the time.

Dead easy to set up, just enter username and password and away you go. All machines on network (up to 4) are running XP and "self-installed" onto the network/adsl.

SEASHANTY 21:25 07 Aug 03

Non wireless routers are also cheaper as well as being more reliable.

Kitz E Kat 22:12 07 Aug 03

Think you should get a firewall...
I have a ADSL moden and a workgroup switch with 8 ports, works a treat...
But get a firewall.. you are online all the time your computer is on with BB, not like a dial up, and while you may be given a IP address by DHCP , you still should get a good firewall, keep people from peeking at your files, you dont want that do you?
Good Luck

jazzypop 22:28 07 Aug 03

click here for an excellent ADSL router

click here for how to connect it up - scroll down to the first diagram in the section marked 'Ethernet Router & Local Area Network'.

The very act of connecting your PCs means that are you are behind a basic (NAT) firewall. I strongly urge you to use the additional firewall features of the router.

phoenix_one 23:45 07 Aug 03

IF you are on a tight budget this is amaxing price

4 ports for this!!!!!!!!!
click here

check out the microfilters too on the site gd luck

Madrat 01:23 08 Aug 03

Thanks for all your hellp

Ebuyer.com do a wire/wireless router for under £50 so will give that a go.

nochi 14:23 08 Aug 03

i'll be doing the same thing at my new place shortly. does anybody have views on where's best to get cables? and is it best to buy preset lengths with the rj45s and all attached or should i buy a length of UTP cat5 or whatever and a handful of connectors and do it myself?

cheers
nj

SEASHANTY 16:04 08 Aug 03

Get RJ45's attached to the cables at both ends. A 20 metre straight thru cat5 cable with plugs on should cost around £8 or £9. Smaller lengths cheaper. If you buy the cables and plugs separately you will also have to buy a fixing tool which can cost £20 or so. Just don't buy them at outlets like PC World or you will pay dearly for this. Purchase the Micro Mart weekly mag for plenty of cheap computer parts outlets. It costs £1-60 and is available from W.H. Smiths and other large newsagents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…