home network

tonyjo 22:04 25 Jul 03

i am about to get broadband can i run 3 pc's on the same line if so how?

You dont say what flavour of broadband but it will be just a matter of setting up a small network (if you have XP on one of the machines this is very simple) connect the modem to one machine and configure the internet connection sharing facility. as i say if you have XP the network connection wizard takes care of all of for you .

hillybilly 22:26 25 Jul 03

Yes you can, what operating systems are you running?

tonyjo 22:40 25 Jul 03

i am running win xp pro on two and win xp home on the other will i need a hub and network cards

hillybilly 22:52 25 Jul 03

If you have'nt got on board built in network cards then the answer is yes, just bog standard 10/100 pci cards will do. Rather then buying a hub, buya switch, a small desktop type with 4 or 5 ports wil do and there is hardly any difference in price between hubs and switches thse days but switches are more efficient.once you have installed your hardware follw on with the advice from horiz5. One thing to bear in mind, i Believe when using XP with "ICS" you will need to disable the built in firewall and buy a third product like Norton's Personal firewall. Not 100% about the firewall but I sure somebody will read this an advise. Good Luck!

tonyjo 22:56 25 Jul 03

many thanks for your prompt replies best wishes t oya all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…