home network

chippy+ 22:31 PM 15 Dec 10

hi i have a home network with 6 pcs on a home network sharing 3 printers, the host pc the one with the virgin modem and wireless router seems to take forever to connect at bootup how can i speed this up (the network pcs are 4 pcs wired 2pcs wireless) thanks Chippy

mgmcc 16:10 PM 16 Dec 10

>>> the host pc the one with the virgin modem and wireless router seems to take forever to connect at bootup

If you have 6 PCs networked and getting their internet access via the router, they all have an equal status in the Local Area Network, there is no "host PC". As it is the Modem-Router, and not the PCs, that has to establish the connection to the ISP, what are you doing with the PC that you call the "host" for it to *CONNECT* at bootup? It should automatically have internet access over the LAN from the router.

chippy+ 19:40 PM 16 Dec 10

hi mgmcc

i agree wih you that the modem/router is host i should have said the pc that the modem/router are attached to is taking a long time to connect to at boot time thanks Chippy

mgmcc 20:29 PM 16 Dec 10

Taking a long time to do what - get its IP address from the router?

Immediately after booting has completed, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window and see if it has its IP address, which will probably start with 192.168....

chippy+ 20:49 PM 16 Dec 10

hi mgmcc

comand prompt shows all details, it's the time it takes to connect at bootup the other pc's don't take as long thanks again Chippy ps checked for viruses adaware ect

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites