Home Network

SWEENEY TOD 21:25 31 Jan 10

Has anyone got any idea's of which Network Hub to use. Only use Desk and Laptop but have seen many reviews stating slow speeds from £55 - £85 Hubs

mgmcc 23:19 31 Jan 10

Why do you want a "Network Hub"?

A "Hub" is a very basic device for connecting several computers together, but it is "unintelligent" and sends data to all computers in the network. The computers then have to sort out what data is intended for them.

A more "intelligent" device is a "Network Switch" which also connects several computers in a network, but it delivers data only to the correct IP address within the network.

If all you want to do is to connect two computers together, this can be done with a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable between their RJ45 ethernet ports. Data transfer speed will be 100Mbps, unless both computers have Gigabit (1000Mbps) network adapters installed.

SWEENEY TOD 11:41 01 Feb 10

Thank's for that
I only want to use my desk or wireless lap top but also i have a WD external hardrive and printer etc.
At the the moment the external hard drive which holds all photo's etc is ethernet connected but i want access to all of this without having to repeat data

mgmcc 13:55 01 Feb 10

Do you connect to the internet with a "Router", because that will have a built-in network switch which will let you connect the ethernet external drive, so that it is accessible from both computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…