Home network

GregDa 11:27 22 Apr 08

Hi,

Probably a stupid and very simple question but then so am I so...

Currently have a desktop downstairs running off a Virgin (NTL) broadband line. I want to put another desktop in upstairs and run the broadband line to that as well.

Is this possible and is the best way to do this to get a splitter for the ethernet cable or to use the USB port on the router?

Want to be able to download heavy files in both locations so thinking wireless would be a waste of time really.

Any help most appreciated.

Greg.

ambra4 11:52 22 Apr 08

“Or to use the USB port on the router?”

You can only one port at a time it either the USB port or the Ethernet port you cannot

connect both at the same time

Connect a switch to the Ethernet port on the modem and than connect both computer to

the switch

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

GregDa 12:10 22 Apr 08

That looks perfect, thanks for that.

Will both PCs be able to go online at the same time and is there a limit to how long the cable running to the 2nd PC should be?

Greg

ambra4 12:18 22 Apr 08

Yes both pc will have access to the internet and

also access to each other

Max recommended distance is about 100m

GregDa 12:25 22 Apr 08

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Simsy 12:51 20 May 08

I used a BT router that had 1 ethernet and 1 USB port. (I think the model was a 205, but I can't be certain!)

They DID work at the same time. It was how both my son and I connected to the internet for a while.

However, we didn't have the two PCs networked. We didn't need to share files or the printer. I'm not sure that would have been possible.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…