home network ???

JACC 21:52 30 Dec 07

Merry Christmas to you all,i hope you've all been good and got lovely stuff from Santa. I wonder if you could help me with a problem i have , i would like to setup a home network. I have an Orange Livebox with a Vista Ultimate pc and an XBox 360 with a wired connection ,in another room i would like to connect another pc + another XBox 360 and a Wii.The other pc is W XP Pro sp2.I think it will have to be a wireless connection because i can't run any cables under the floor , can anyone tell me what i would need to get these consoles and pc online , thankyou.

Mike 22:27 30 Dec 07

Xp has a help and support page.

Click start>Help and Support>Networking and the Web.

PalaeoBill 12:09 31 Dec 07

Merry Christmas JACC. I fear this isn't going to be the answer that you want to hear, but it may be a tad more helpful.
The setup that you are suggesting would require two wireless routers that support WDS. Both routers would supply wired connections, but they would communicate to each other wirelessly.
However, I don't think that the Orange Livebox supports WDS. If you browse to the Livebox (or use the configuration icon on screen, if you have one) and login, you should be able to poke around in the setup menus and see if it has a WDS option. (Alternatively you could look at the user manual for the Livebox which should be on the CD that came with it; though this won't be as much fun!)
As default, I think the IP is 192.168.1.1 and the login is admin, password admin.
If it does have WDS, then all you need to do is enable WDS in the Livebox and buy another wireless router (one that also supports WDS: something like: click here). The two routers will talk to each other wirelessly.
The Livebox doesn't provide many RJ45 wired connections so you may want to buy a switch for it if there are not enough for your needs. click here You just plug it into one of the two RJ ethernet on the Livebox.

If your Livebox doesn't support WDS, then you will either have to connect it to another router via a cable, or buy two WDS enabled routers and then either plug one of them into the Livebox or replace the Livebox with it.

JACC 17:10 03 Jan 08

PalaeoBill,would it be possible to connect the pc wirelessly cos i believe the xbox has a wireless adaptor of it's own i could buy or would this bit of kit do it all for me and i could connect the pc and consoles to it click here . I'm starting to get a headache thinking about it now(no, not the drink , i work in a distillery and i see enough of the stuff)A Good New Year to you PalaeoBill and all the members of the forum.

PalaeoBill 22:16 03 Jan 08

You can certainly get very cheap wireless adaptors if that is how you want to connect the PC that is not in the same room as your Livebox.
click here
Something like this should do the trick and if you do a google you may find something cheaper.

The Belkin Gaming Adaptor is new to me. I have had a read of the manual it looks pretty good to me for connecting your Xbox. You will need to read the Belkin manual carefully (although it looks pretty straight forward) as your Livebox is Wep enabled and the Belkin will need to be configured with a Wep code. It does appear to be limited to one wired ethernet device though! You may want to start another thread to get some advice on the Belkin Adaptor. (It is only £39 on Amazon by the way).
Good Luck

PalaeoBill 22:21 03 Jan 08

If you do want to start a new thread, it might be an idea to put in the Networking forum.

JACC 15:06 04 Jan 08

Thankyou PalaeoBill , some good advice there m8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac