Home Network

micknor56 09:29 09 Jan 07

Hi there, Iam trying to set up a home network. I have installed a Netgear DG834G wireless modem router on to my PC, with ethernet cable, and am trying to wirelessly link with another PC and a new laptop.I have bought and installed a USB adaptor on the other computer, and the laptop has one already installed. Both the other computer and the laptop appear to recognise the network but I can't get either of them to connect to the internet. Am I missing something quite obvious, or doing something stupid (Or both). Any help would me much appreciated
Thanks

Strawballs 10:20 09 Jan 07
  mgmcc 11:48 09 Jan 07

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

micknor56 13:47 09 Jan 07

Hi mgmcc/Strawballs, I've now just managed to get the internet on to the laptop, but not the second PC at the moment. They've both been saying the network is connected, but with "Limited or no connectivity". As I say the laptop has now connected, so hopefully I can sort the other out as well.
So thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…