//some 3rd party need geo

Home Network

Wizzy 12:53 14 Dec 03

I'm planning on setting up a small home network to share files between 2 computers. As both computers are next to each other I'm going to have a wired network. I was wordering if I could just connect the network cards together or do I have to connect a router.

igk 12:58 14 Dec 03

Hi Wizzy,
You do not need a router/networking hub unless you plan to add more pc's or share a broadband connection, just get a networking card for each pc (£15 each approx) and get a "crossover" cable (cat5)to connect pc's together then bootup both and the pc's should find the network cards and install the software.hope this helps.

InZaNE_mOdS 13:32 14 Dec 03

if this helps, there are £7 ones from savastore.

Wizzy 16:23 14 Dec 03

Thanks guys,
I only want the two computers and I'm only going to have the internet on 1 machine.

Martlet 17:15 14 Dec 03

Sorry to Hi-jack the question with another, but I have just tried this with a PCI network card in an older machine, and the RJ45 10/100 interface on the newer.
The older machine states 'Local Area Connection. A Cable is unplugged' and will not connect. The newer machine shows the Network adaptor in Control Panel, and states that it is working correctly. I have connected a Cat5 Patch cable between the computers but am still having no success in connecting them together. Uninstalling and re-installing had no success. Any suggestions?

InZaNE_mOdS 18:05 14 Dec 03

Martlet you should open your own thread, but the cable you are using. Is it a crossover or straightthrough.

Martlet 18:09 14 Dec 03

As far as I can tell it is a straight-through. The package states 'Networking Cable, Ethernet Cable, RJ45, Male/Male'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…