Home Network

Lasse 12:13 26 Oct 03

I have had a home network 2 years now, where 2 computers have shared a printer and files. I have just changed our internet connection from modem to broadband. We are using a cable connection. There are 2 computers connected to a router with a built in network switch, when I attempt to make my home network again I get a warning when I run network configeration, that it is not reccommended. I am told that I should use a gateway computer. Our connection is a LAN and I understand the warning, we only want to share a printer and not files is it possible with a broadband connection.

AndySD 12:31 26 Oct 03

Ok I am a little confused (normal for me) anyway do you mean you have an RJ45 cable from each pc to the router and an RJ45 cable from the modem to the router. As well as a cable connection from one pc to the other pc?

LastChip 12:36 26 Oct 03

In principal, it makes no difference whether you are sharing a normal modem or broadband connection.

Presumably, you have a broadband cable modem connected to your router. Does your router support the equipment supplied?

A_World_Maker 12:41 26 Oct 03

Hmmm... are you using a 'router' or just a 'data switch'? The problems I have had with XP home, is that it throws up warnings when you try and make a network other than a gateway setup. Which sounds what you might consider with all that you are trying to achieve. My only proviso, is to get a decent firewall that supports ICS, I use Zonealarm Pro, which does.
Using a Gateway setup, you can share both the printer and the Broadband, and if you so wish, files etc..

Lasse 13:35 26 Oct 03

I live in Denmark so I do not know if the system is different over here. I have cable television. The socket I have on the wall has three outputs. THE RADIO, TELEVISION and INTERNET. The only extra hardware I have is the router with a built in netswitch. When I here the term cable modem I get a little confused. Can it be that the one piece of hardware I have is the CABLE MODEM, ROUTER and NETWORKSWITCH IN one. I have a cable into the M+R+S then a RJ45 cable to each computer. The LAN connection is OK as both computers have trouble free access to the internet.

AndySD 13:39 26 Oct 03

Ok the setup is ok. Can you tell us the operating systems of the pc's.

Lasse 14:49 26 Oct 03

XP Professional

AndySD 14:58 26 Oct 03

Although this is for wireless the third picture click here Select a connection method is the choice you should make using a router.

Lasse 15:26 26 Oct 03

Thanks AndySD I now have a network again and we can share files, but i have a problem with the printer. The printer has been told to share on the host gomputer but the other computer cannot find it when I run the configuration guide.

AndySD 16:49 26 Oct 03

Do you have a firewall running on either of the pc's?

Try turning off XP's own firewall. Start/My Network Places/Network Connections/Right click on the Lan connection and choose Properties then in the Advanced tab untick the firewall.

Lasse 19:50 28 Oct 03

I have the network and we share the printer thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…