Home desktop and laptop purchase

Greg in Reading 11:14 09 Mar 07

Spoilt with work internet access but now feel obliged to get new home system and laptop for daughter's school work. Not into gaming but own digital camera/video. Have decent printer already. Would also like to use laptop for mobile surfing around the house. Dell/Evesham sound well regarded and I have about £1000 total budget. Thinking half decent desktop and basic laptop (refurb?) but bamboozled by options and unsure if I really need Vista. Will want basic wireless network I guess. Recommendations anyone?

terryf 12:44 09 Mar 07

click here my son buys from these for home and business (and for ma-in-law)

Kate B 13:08 09 Mar 07

If your daughter doesn't specifically need Windows I'd suggest actually getting a Mac as they need so little looking after - I assume that you'd have to keep a computer of hers up to date with AV, antinastyware, patches etc?

However, if you want to restrict what she can do and where she can go on the web, then Vista is the way forward as it has good parental controls.

rawprawn 17:26 09 Mar 07

Do Macs accept normal routers. For instance If I bought a Mac Desktop and a dell Inspiron laptop with Vista,can I run these together?

Greg in Reading, please excuse me I don't mean to hijack your thread, but the answer may be of advantage to both of us.

Kate B 18:55 09 Mar 07

Yes, networking a Mac and a PC is no problem. If anything, you'll find the Mac easier to put on the network - it will just find the wireless signal and offer to connect to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now