Hoe do I change bmp files. Too big

Zebrapec 17:24 09 Oct 04

All my pictures from the digital camera are save in bmp format, which is taking up to much room.Is there a way in which I can reduce the amount of hard disc space they are using.
PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT ME TO A LINK BECAUSE MY CONPUTER WILL NOT GO TO LINKS, SORRY.
Therefore please enter either full web.address or/and your answers.
Thank you.

holly polly 17:28 09 Oct 04

irfanview save as jpeg
(click here)

holly polly 17:32 09 Oct 04

Sorry tried posting the web address in brackets and pca still converted it goto google type in irfanview and you can goto it your self -regards-Hol Pol....

Giving it another try -----(click here)

holly polly 17:35 09 Oct 04

nope ,failed again some body will proberly tell me how to do it...

VoG II 17:36 09 Oct 04

www . irfanview . com

without the spaces.

holly polly 17:45 09 Oct 04

Gday sir and many thanks for the posting -hope you are well -Hol Pol...

VoG II 18:39 09 Oct 04

1 Quit all programs that are running.

2 Click Start, and then click Run.

3 Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

and then click OK.

4 When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

Shdocvw.dll

Msjava.dll

Actxprxy.dll

Oleaut32.dll

Mshtml.dll

Browseui.dll

Shell32.dll

tehtarek 19:13 09 Oct 04

Zebrapec,
Most image viewers can save in a variety of formats. Use a viewer to open and view your bmp file and then you save it, choosing the .jpg ext format, which is loads smaller than bmp. You can download many freeware viewers from the usual download sites. I use LView Pro 1B which is pretty old stuff but very reliable. You can get the download sites through a Search. Cheers/

It's Me 20:25 09 Oct 04

As said above most image viewers or photo software allow you to 'Save As' into a different format.

However, bmp files are not compressed and as such don't deteriorate with use. Jpg files are lossy compressed and do deteriorate every time you do something to them to the point where eventually they can practically disappear, which may be fine if you don't want to keep them.otherwise it will be annoying in time.

There are lossless formats such as .png which are a lot smaller than bmp files, but the experts all seem to agree that a format such as bmp is best so as not to have a risk.

Molded 16:18 10 Oct 04

Why bother with third-party software?

Windows has it's own utility - it's called "Paint".

Will save in gif , tiff or jpeg.

pj123 16:39 10 Oct 04

What digital camera do you have. I don't know of any digital camera that saves pics as bmp. Most cameras save as jpg and/or tif.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…