is this a hoax/spam?

palinka 18:56 09 Jan 08

just returned from helping a friend whose computer was so overloaded with stuff that it would hardly move at all. Her teenage son uses the PC so I wondered whether a pop-up message was a try-on to extract money or whether it referred to something he had downloaded. Message was something like " you downloaded [something or other, unspecified]....the 30 days trial is up ....pay...or phone [an 0845 number] to get a code to uninstall the program from your PC". As the program was not named I couldn't see anything that it mght be; but I did find a trojan & her security program had also found - and quarantined - 4 others in the last week or so.

Technotiger 19:05 09 Jan 08

Delete whatever it is and then run all available Anti-everything programs. After that run CCleaner click here

Do not pay anything to anyone, and do not make any phone calls!

palinka 11:57 10 Jan 08

Thanks, Technotiger. That was my instinct, but wanted to be sure. I've asked her to report back on how things are now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…